East Rand Gold Field
Established in 1887, the East Rand Gold Field has produced an estimated 319 million troy ounces of gold to date. The main visual shows the gold sphere occupying a park on the banks of the Boksburg Lake (actually a dam). This dam was constructed by the Mining Commissioner Montague White in order to beautify the area. It remained empty for a few years earning it the nickname White’s Folly before a flash flood eventually filled the dam in 1889.